Friday, October 2, 2009

Informing and Interfering

I read this article about a group of moms that were helping each other out by watching each others’ children when needed. One of the moms that watch the kids before school received a letter saying that she is violating a law. When did something so small like helping someone out become a big deal? As a future mother, I think I should have the right to say who I trust with my child. I think it’s ridiculous when you can’t even watch some one else’s child without the law interfering. However, I would appreciate if they told me who was capable of watching my child, especially because there are sex offenders and abusive people out there. If I then would leave my child with that person, the state should be able to fine me for my mistake. But where do we draw the line between informing and interfering?

2 comments:

  1. I also read this article and was shocked. I could not believe this mother was in trouble for helping other mothers. I think this is something we should be encouraging each other to do not subjecting them to fines or punishments. I also agree with your point that we as parents should be informed as parents as to whether or not potential caregivers are sex offenders, abusive, neglectful, or any other kind of criminal. It is a fine line between interfering and informing. Great post btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liea. I hadn't read that article - thanks for sharing it! I look forward to reading more blogs from you : )

    David

    ReplyDelete